October is the month of the hunter. As the Wheel of the Year turns, the Hunter’s Moon is the time when the animals have been fattened for hunting and people must begin to prepare for winter. Traditionally, activities during this time included slaughtering and preserving meats for the cold time ahead, which is how it got its name.
October is an excellent time for culling, reaping, and collection. Here is an easy releasing spell for the Hunter’s Moon. The best day for this ritual is a Thursday but you should cast it any of the three nights when the Moon is full in October. 🌕
Spiritual Meaning of the Hunter’s Moon
The power of this Full Hunter’s Moon can release negativity. Take advantage of it by getting rid of the negative thoughts in your mind that might be holding you back. The Hunter’s Moon allow time to unwind and unfurl any harmful habits and can help you by setting a positive mindset for the coming journey into the darkness.
How does this spell work?
- Sage is used to heal, protect, and increase wisdom. It’s sacred to Jove (Jupiter or Zeus) and was gathered with great ceremony in ancient Rome and Greece. It builds emotional strength and aids in healing grief. Common Sage is also associated with protection and the granting of wishes.
- Fire is the element of transformation. It is associated with illumination, health, and creativity. Fire can physically change objects which comes with great power and the ability to renew.
- Before you begin, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. The intention should focus on building and increasing self-awareness and self-efficacy.
What is the meaning of the Hunter’s Moon?
Other names for October’s Full Moon are the Sanguine or Blood Moon, either associated with the blood from hunting or the color of the changing autumn leaves. This is the season when the animals are fattened, and it is time to start preparing for the coming winter. Traditionally, this included hunting, slaughtering and preserving meats for use in the coming winter months.
From the spiritual or astrology perspective, the Hunter’s Moon symbolizes change and transformation. Some call it the Falling Leaf Moon because it happens during the Fall season, as we approach Samhain. The temperature is changing and the days are getting shorter. Observe and feel these transformations in your life and around you. This is a time for relaxation and release.
When is the Next Hunter’s Moon?
- Hunter’s Moon 2021: October 20, 2021: Full Moon in Aries.
- Hunter’s Moon 2022: October 9, 2022: Full Moon in Aquarius.
- Hunter’s Moon 2023: October 28, 2023: Lunar Eclipse (Full Moon) in Taurus.
- Hunter’sMoon 2024: October 17, 2024: Full Moon in Aries
- Hunter’s Moon 2025: October 7, 2025: Full Moon in Aries.
🖨️ Print a Lunar calendar here: Printable Lunar Calendar
Spell + Moon Journaling Page 📄
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows. Log in to download it or find free printable grimoire pages.
Hunter’s Moon Rituals
Here are ideas and resources you can add to your Hunter Moon ceremony or spell. Get inspired with these meditations and chants:
Diana’s Devotional Song
She is the Roman Goddess of the Hunt and the Moon. You can chant these simple lyrics as a mantra to Goddess Diana, to meditate or invoke the energy of the Moon during any ritual or spell. Use it as a poem to Goddess Diana, to show gratitude and thankfulness, or during any petition or request for protection, love, etc.
If you were planning to cast a Love Spell on the Full Hunter’s Moon, inviting Diana (Goddess of the Hunt) to your ritual can be a great idea.
“In Diana’s strength secure, we’ll sing our song to Her.
As becomes a chorus of pure youths and maidens.”
The Horned God is a symbol of Nature, wilderness, and the life cycles. Many horned deities are known to have been worshipped in various cultures throughout history, including Cernunnos and also Pan or the Wiccan God, for example.
The Witches’ Rune is a traditional chant used to raise the cone of power. This is a way to raise energy for spells and other ritual workings, whether in a group or in solitary.
Written by Doreen Valiente, this is a spell-poem designed to produce a Magickal effect through the power of its language.
Find more Pagan and Wiccan Chants to open or close your Hunter’s Moon ritual.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience
Discover your Wiccan path