When a Full Moon happens twice in a calendar month, the second one is called a Blue Moon. A Blue Moon, like any other Full Moon celebration (Esbat), is an excellent time for harnessing the Moon’s powerful spiritual influence. 🌕
Spiritual Meaning of the Blue Moon
The Full Moon is the Witches’ companion in a dark night. It has been a symbol of intuition, dreams, and the unconscious. 🔵 Blue is a calm and mysterious color which represents guidance, communication, wisdom, and healing.
This is an easy spell to harness Blue Moon energy by making Full Moon Water under tonight’s Blue Moon. You can also follow this ritual a couple of days before or after the the Full Moon.
How this Spell Works
Before we begin, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. It could be anything from spiritual guidance, to soaking up positive vibrations, or manifesting a personal dream. Write it down! 📝
- Water 💧 is the element of cleansing and healing. Because we cannot survive without water, it is part of the life force that connects us to the everflowing tides. Water is also the element of the subconscious, the underlying flowing of our thoughts and emotions.
- The Empress is the third major arcana card in the Tarot deck, and it stands for the Goddess. She can be called on for help with balance, guidance, and self-love. The Empress is radiant and full of new life. If you don’t have a Tarot deck, substitute it with a white candle, a Moonstone or a drawing or symbol of the Goddess.
- The Iris ✿ is the sacred flower of the rainbow goddess, Iris. She would deliver messages from Hera to the earth using a rainbow as a bridge. This flower represents communication and messages. If you can’t find iris where you live, use any blue flowers instead.
Blue Moon Ritual & Spell
A Blue Moon Ritual of Positive Witchcraft to reflect power back to the Goddess, enabling devotion and communication with the Sacred.
The Empress Tarot card
Iris flowers (or replace with any blue flowers)
Hand towel (optional)
How to cast the spell
- Sit in a quiet space preferably outside where you will not be disturbed. You will need a place where the Moon can be seen.
- Pour the water into the bowl. Situate the bowl so that you are able to see the reflection of the moon in the water.
- In front of the bowl, place the Empress tarot card. Around the bowl, place the iris flowers. Take a few deep breaths as you let the energy of the Moon to charge the water and yourself. Meditate or follow the guided meditation below and use the journaling worksheet included.
- When you’re ready, place your hands in the water and feel the energy from the Moon soaking into your body. Use this moment to connect with the divine energy of the Moon.
- When you have gathered enough energy, remove your hands from the water. Let your hands air dry or use the towel.
- Scroll down to find printable pages 🖨️
Guided Meditation for the Blue Moon
Journaling Page & Blue Moon Magic Spell
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows. Log in to download it or find free printable grimoire pages and lunar worksheets.
What to do after the ritual?
You can keep the energized water in a container for other rituals or you can bless a plant by providing it with its magickal nourishment. Gather the iris flowers and use some of the water from the spell for their vase water.
Is the Blue Moon actually blue?
“Most Blue Moons look pale gray and white, indistinguishable from any other moon you’ve ever seen,” says NASA. “Squeezing a second full moon into a calendar month doesn’t change the physical properties of the moon itself, so the color remains the same.”.
The Moon can still appear blue when the atmosphere is filled with dust or smoke particles of a certain size, for example, after a volcanic eruption.
What’s the spiritual meaning of the Blue Moon?
The Blue Moon can help you nourish a specific area of your life. Performing spells and Magic in the Blue Moon is an opportunity given only once every two and a half years! So take advantage of this rare event by visualizing what your life will look like in 2 ½ years.
Journal and write down aspects of your life that you want to grow. The power of this Full Moon can be felt on a deep level and it can be the start of long-lasting changes.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience
Discover your Wiccan path