Sturgeon Moon is the name of August’s Full Moon.🌕 Indigenous tribes of North America knew that in August, the giant sturgeon of the Great Lakes were most readily caught. The sturgeon is a very large, prehistoric-looking fish that has changed very little in over 100 million years. It is truly a “living fossil.”
Easy Full Sturgeon Moon Ritual
Having entered the second half of the year, we begin to notice things that need to be removed. In your life, what habit would you like to see go the way of the dinosaurs? What is hindering you or holding you back?
Here is a simple candle-burning ritual for banishing a bad habit from your life with Magic. 🕯️
How does this spell work?
- The time of the Sturgeon Moon 🐟 is an ideal time for getting rid of “old dinosaurs” that continue to weigh you down. This powerful moon occurs towards the end of the Summer, signaling that all seasons must come to an end.
- Black is a color that dissolves negative energies. The black candle 🖤 will assist you in truly getting rid of whatever is holding you back from becoming your best Self.
- When you banish something from your life, it leaves a gap in your daily routine. It is therefore essential to fill the space left by the banished behavior with a conscious intention. The strength of the Full Moon 🌕 will lend power to a positive statement, to help give you the Will to create your new reality.
The best day for this ritual is a Tuesday but you can do this spell on any of the three nights in August when the Moon is full.
Before you begin, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. It can be anything from quitting smoking / snacking / social media, to severing an unhealthy relationship. This is the time to be bold, clear, and strong in your determination.
What is the meaning of the Sturgeon Moon?
A Sturgeon Full Moon symbolizes endurance and resilience. This fish represents incredible strength and a powerful decision-making. Sturgeon fossils have been found from 170 million years ago and they still live in North America and Eurasia.
The symbolism of fish 🐟 also connect us with the Water Element 🜄, which means awareness and communication with the spiritual realms.
We can also harness the spiritual energy of tonight’s Full Moon by meditating to its current lunar transit. If you practice Astrology or Lunar Magic, find a lunar meditation with today’s Moon transit here: Tonight’s Moon Spell 🌕
Spell + Moon Journaling Page 📄
The effect of this Full Moon can make things easier in terms of making an important decision or choice. Cast this spell to remove bad habits taking advantage of the significance of the Sturgeon Moon. Set your intention with determination. Know that the journey to quitting may not be easy but you have all of your strengths, including the strength of your positive witchcraft, on your side. 🧹
When’s the next Sturgeon Moon?
- Sturgeon Moon 2021: August 22, 2021: Full Moon in Aquarius.
- Sturgeon Moon 2022: August 12, 2022: Full Moon in Aquarius.
- Sturgeon Moon 2023: August 1, 2023: Full Moon in Aquarius.
- Sturgeon Moon 2024: August 19, 2024: Full Moon in Aquarius.
- Sturgeon Moon 2025: August 9, 2025: Full Moon in Aquarius.
🖨️ Print a Lunar calendar here: Printable Lunar Calendar
What other names is August’s Full Moon called?
The Full Moon of August is also known as the Green Corn Moon, the Grain Moon, and the Red Moon. These names were traditionally used for farming by indigenous tribes and early settlers as the seasons changed the landscape.
What color is the Sturgeon Moon?
The Sturgeon Moon is red. The weather and atmospheric conditions during this season can often make the moon look reddish when it rises through a haze, depending on your location.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience
Discover your Wiccan path