Sturgeon Moon is the name of August’s Full Moon.🌕 Indigenous tribes of North America knew that in August, the giant sturgeon of the Great Lakes were most readily caught. The sturgeon is a very large, prehistoric-looking fish that has changed very little in over 100 million years. It is truly a “living fossil.”
Easy Full Sturgeon Moon Ritual
Having entered the second half of the year, we begin to notice things that need to be removed. In your life, what habit would you like to see go the way of the dinosaurs? What is hindering you or holding you back?
Here is a simple candle-burning ritual for banishing a bad habit from your life with Magic. 🕯️
How does this spell work?
- The time of the Sturgeon Moon 🐟 is an ideal time for getting rid of “old dinosaurs” that continue to weigh you down. This powerful moon occurs towards the end of the Summer, signaling that all seasons must come to an end.
- Black is a color that dissolves negative energies. The black candle 🖤 will assist you in truly getting rid of whatever is holding you back from becoming your best Self.
- When you banish something from your life, it leaves a gap in your daily routine. It is therefore essential to fill the space left by the banished behavior with a conscious intention. The strength of the Full Moon 🌕 will lend power to a positive statement, to help give you the Will to create your new reality.
The best day for this ritual is a Tuesday but you can do this spell on any of the three nights in August when the Moon is full.
Before you begin, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. It can be anything from quitting smoking / snacking / social media, to severing an unhealthy relationship. This is the time to be bold, clear, and strong in your determination.
Full Sturgeon Moon Magic Ritual
Full Moon banishing ritual with the strength and magic of the Sturgeon Moon (August). This spell of positive witchcraft can help you get rid of a bad habit.
1 black candle of any size
Pen or pencil
Cauldron or fireproof container
2 strips of paper
Purifying incense (lavender, cinnamon, sage, palo santo, rosemary)
How to cast the spell
- Light the candle and incense on your altar. Relax and take three deep breaths. As you breath out, see yourself expelling the negativity from your body and your space.
- On a strip of paper, write down the habit you wish to break.
- Make sure there’s an adult in the room for this part. Light the paper using the candle’s flame and quickly place it in your cauldron.
- Watch the paper burn as you chant this spell:
- Take the second strip of paper, and write a new description of yourself in the present tense. For example, “I am a non-smoker.”
- Say the statement three times. Paste the strip of paper on your book of shadows or your journal and leave it there.
- Everyday until the next Full Moon, repeat the statement when you wake up, making eye contact with yourself in a mirror. This will strengthen the spell daily.
- Always practice candle safety. Never leave candles burning unattended.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find a printable page of this spell.
What is the meaning of the Sturgeon Moon?
A Sturgeon Full Moon symbolizes endurance and resilience. This fish represents incredible strength and a powerful decision-making. Sturgeon fossils have been found from 170 million years ago and they still live in North America and Eurasia.
The symbolism of fish 🐟 also connect us with the Water Element 🜄, which means awareness and communication with the spiritual realms.
We can also harness the spiritual energy of tonight’s Full Moon by meditating to its current lunar transit. If you practice Astrology or Lunar Magic, find a lunar meditation with today’s Moon transit here: Tonight’s Moon Spell 🌕
Spell + Moon Journaling Page 📄
The effect of this Full Moon can make things easier in terms of making an important decision or choice. Cast this spell to remove bad habits taking advantage of the significance of the Sturgeon Moon. Set your intention with determination. Know that the journey to quitting may not be easy but you have all of your strengths, including the strength of your positive witchcraft, on your side. 🧹
What other names is August’s Full Moon called?
The Full Moon of August is also known as the Green Corn Moon, the Grain Moon, and the Red Moon. These names were traditionally used for farming by indigenous tribes and early settlers as the seasons changed the landscape.
What color is the Sturgeon Moon?
The Sturgeon Moon is red. The weather and atmospheric conditions during this season can often make the moon look reddish when it rises through a haze, depending on your location.