The Full Moon of September is known as the Corn Moon, unless it occurs closer to the fall equinox (September 21st), then it’s considered to be a Harvest Moon.
The name ‘Corn Moon’ comes from Native American Algonquin and Iroquois tribes who named each full moon as a way to track the seasons. This moon marks the best time to harvest corn. 🌽
What’s the Spiritual Meaning of the Corn Moon?
Also known as Barley Moon or Grain Moon, the Corn Moon symbolizes all types of grain. In Europe, ancient pagan worship of the grain goddess was central to all aspects of life. As divine perfection of earthly fecundity, she was considered the germinating energy of the seed.
The grain goddess also performed the miracle of transformation, making grains into bread. 🍞 She was given many names over time but the one that stands out is Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture whose name became the root of the word “cereal”. Other names are: Ashnan, Heqet, Demeter, Mama Sara, Corn Mother.
Ritual for the Grain Moon or Corn Moon
For this Corn Moon ritual we will make an abundance jar with the goddess’ blessing — symbolized by the Moon in her Mother aspect (Full Moon). 🌕
Before you begin, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. It could be anything related to abundance, finding a new job, growing your business, or improving your finances.
Full Corn Moon Ritual & Spell
A simple jar spell for abundance in the Corn Moon. September’s Full Moon represents the grain, symbol of fertility, life and prosperity.
Glass jar with lid.
Grain (rice, corn kernels, barley, wheat)
7 coins (of your local currency)
1 green candle
How to cast the spell
- Find a nice, clean glass jar and place it on your altar or work table.
- Light the green candle on your altar.
- Watch the candle flame and relax. When you’re ready, say:
- Place the coins one by one in the jar. These represent your hard work and finances.
- Fill the rest of the container with the grain. Grain represents the abundance of the earth and the wealth of this harvest season.
- Optionally, you can add salt for protection or other prosperity herbs (such as basil, rosemary, rue, thyme).
- Seal the jar and meditate while the candle burns. Focus on your intention and visualize how success and fortune are going to manifest in your life. Everything that prevented the flow of money is starting to dissolve as the roads to prosperity open.
- Say: “This is my Will. So mote it be!” and blow out the candle.
- Place the jar outside where the Full Moon will bathe it. Collect it early in the morning and put it in a safe place. Leave it there until the next Full Moon.
- Never leave candles burning unattended. Practice Candle Safety.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find a printable version of this ritual.
Dispose of any remains in the compost or waste as you say Thanks. On the next full moon, you are going to open the jar and do the same with the grains. Wash the jar well and gift or spend the coins to ensure the flow of wealth.
Corn Moon Spell Images
Find more ideas for your ritual based on tonight’s moon astrological conditions here: Tonight’s Spell Generator 🌕
Spell + Moon Journaling Page 📄
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows. Log in to download it or find free printable grimoire pages and more Moon Journaling Ideas.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience
Discover your Wiccan path