July’s full moon is most frequently known as the Buck Moon. 🦌 This is the peak of summer; at this time the velvety antlers of male deer complete their growth, forming pointed tips and magnificent racks.
What does “Buck Moon” mean? It was the glory of the antlers silhouetted against the summer sky that led July’s full moon to be called the Full Buck Moon. Farmers also called this the Full Hay Moon, as high summer is the time to cut and cure hay to store it away for the winter’s supply of feed.
Let’s honor the significance of the Full Buck Moon with a ritual. 🕯️ The spiritual meaning of this celebration is to look back at the joy of Spring, observe the abundance of Summer, and consider: What do you need to work at storing up — physically, mentally, or spiritually — to get you through the coming winter?
How does this spell work?
- The mind is one of our most powerful magical tools, and preserving a positive, sunny attitude for the winter ahead will lend you the strength of the sun even when Summer feels far away. ☀️
- Gold is a very powerful color, and magically it symbolizes fulfillment and connection with our Higher Selves. The gold candle used in this ritual will represent your relationship with your own, inner Divinity and remind you that you are complete.
The best day for this ritual is the peak of the Buck Moon. Look in your Lunar Calendar to determine which is the middle night of the three nights of the Full Moon. Because this is a time of hot, heavy work, it is best for this ritual to be done at the most powerful, peak time.
Full Buck Moon Ritual
In this Full Buck Moon ritual we will store feelings of bright and vibrant summer time so that they can bring us strength and perseverance for the winter months ahead.
1 gold candle
Moon journaling page (print it below)
Gold pen, pencil or painting utensils
How to cast the spell
- Light the candle on your altar. If you don’t have a gold candle, replace it with a white or yellow candle.
- Set an intention for this ritual. Write down in your journal page how strong, capable and full of fiery power the fullness of Summer makes you feel. Think about what brings sunshine to your heart and make a list or draw these on the page.
- Hold the journaling page and say:
- Sit comfortably and read over these joys to yourself. Feel the power of the summer light up your Spirit. Take a gold paint brush or gold pen, and write or color the following:
- Recite the statement. Then, for a few silent moments, imagine yourself as a magnificent stag with a beautiful rack of antlers, standing in a clearing in your forest as the Summer sun goes down and a Full Buck Moon arises. Feel yourself in the fullness of your power, take that power into your heart.
- Add this page to oyur Book of Shadows. Look back upon these moments of power whenever you need to know of the golden essence that you are.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find printable moon journaling page!
- Always practice Candle Safety!
Spell + Moon Journaling Pages 📄
Log in to download these pages or explore the free printable grimoire pages. This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows.
Follow this Full Moon Journaling page and add it to your Book of Shadows. Spend the Full Moon night coloring this page to honor the buck’s antlers, a natural symbol of the Summer season. ✨
What are the effects of the Buck Moon? 🌕
The power of the Full Buck Moon can really remind you of your strengths and blessings. Take advantage of it by storing those feelings of bright and vibrant summer time so that they can bring you strength and perseverance for the winter months ahead.
Sign in to spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience