Also known as the Watchtowers or Guardians, the Four Quarters are spirits that rule over each direction: North, East, South and East. Each is associated with one of the four classical elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Summoning the elementals can be used to open a ritual.
Learn also about the Five Elements of Wiccan Wisdom here. ⛤
Circle Casting #CastAlong
The following is a #CastAlong ritual to call the Four Quarters of the Terrestrial sphere. The circle will be our temple, a sacred place to practice magic, meditations and spells. Calling the quarters is a way to purify the space and invite protection into our ritual.
🖨️ Scroll down to find the printable page: Calling The Four Quarters
- Wand or athame
- Salt (Earth)
- White candle (Fire)
- Glass of water or your chalice (Water)
- Some incense of any kind (Air)
There are traditions of witches that use a wand to cast a circle, and others that use an athame or sword. For a solitary Wiccan practice, you should choose the tool which feels right to you. If you have a specific spellwork in mind, choose an incense that matches your intention, and add extra candles if needed.
After casting your circle and calling the quarters, you’re ready to cast a spell, go into deep meditation, or perform any kind of ritual.
Print this Ritual: Calling the Quarters 📄
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows. Log in to download it or find free printable grimoire pages.
Releasing the Quarters
Once you’re done with your ritual, follow these steps to release the quarters:
- “Guardians of the watchtower of the North. Take with you my blessings and thanks. Hail and farewell!”
- “Guardians of the watchtower of the West. Take with you my blessings and thanks. Hail and farewell”
- “Guardians of the watchtower of the South. Take with you my blessings and thanks. Hail and farewell”
- “Guardians of the watchtower of the East. Take with you my blessings and thanks. Hail and farewell”
To dismiss the circle, simply say:
- “I undo this Circle and leave this place as it was before.”
Blow out your candles, gather your tools and put them away.
Related Spells & Lessons
More Witches’ Magic
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience