The name “lapis lazuli” is derived from the Latin word “lapis”, meaning “stone”, and the Arabic word “azul”, meaning “blue”. Lapis lazuli is recognized for its deep celestial blue hue, often speckled with golden flecks of pyrite.
Historically, this stone has been prized for thousands of years, used in jewelry, carvings, and even ground into powder for cosmetics and pigments. But beyond its aesthetic appeal, lapis lazuli is considered a stone of wisdom and truth, believed by many to enhance clarity of thought, communication, and spiritual insight.
Light a blue candle during this meditation
Origin: Lapis lazuli is a rock composed mainly of lazurite, calcite, and pyrite. It forms in limestone and metamorphic environments under high pressures and temperatures. This deep blue gemstone has been mined for over 6,000 years, with some of the most famous deposits located in the Sar-i Sang mines in Afghanistan.
The most common form of lapis lazuli is characterized by its deep blue color, often interspersed with white calcite and golden pyrite inclusions, giving it a starry night appearance.
Main uses: Protection, knowledge, truth, communication.
The Power of Lapis Lazuli
It is believed that lapis lazuli can repel and dispel negative energies, acting as a protective barrier against external influences. Its rich blue hue is said to resonate with truth and enlightenment, aiding in harmonizing the flow of energy within you.
Many believe that feelings of anger, depression, jealousy, and anxiety can be alleviated by meditating with or holding a piece of lapis lazuli, as it connects with the higher realms and encourages self-awareness and inner peace.
How to use it
- For personal protection: Wear lapis lazuli in rings, necklaces, or earrings. You can also carry a piece in your pocket or keep it in your car to benefit from its protective energies wherever you go.
- In energy therapy, its natural form is the most indicated. For best results, place lapis lazuli directly on the body, allowing it to touch the skin, especially near the throat or third eye chakra to enhance communication and intuition.
- To cleanse the home or workplace of negative energies, place a lapis lazuli stone near areas of frequent activity or by the main entrance. Its calming blue hue can also promote a peaceful environment, making it a great addition to meditation spaces or rooms dedicated to relaxation.
Printable: Lapis Lazuli Cleanse + Activate
How to Cleanse Lapis Lazuli
To clean lapis lazuli, mix lukewarm water with mild soap. Soak the stone for 10-15 minutes, then gently scrub with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse thoroughly, ensuring all soap is removed. Dry with a soft, lint-free cloth, avoiding abrasive materials.
Lapis lazuli, with its combination of minerals, especially the presence of pyrite, requires special care during cleaning. It’s sensitive to strong chemicals, high heat, and direct sunlight.
How to Activate Lapis Lazuli
- Find a tranquil space.
- Sit comfortably.
- Hold the lapis lazuli in your hand or place it on your body.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breathing.
- Allow the stone’s energy to flow through you.
- Visualize its deep blue hue and golden specks enveloping you.
- Feel a connection to higher truths and enhanced communication.
More Crystal Activation Pages:
- Emerald Crystal Activation
- Tiger’s Eye Crystal Activation
- Rose Quartz Crystal Activation
- Clear Quartz Crystal Activation
- Fluorite Crystal Activation