Litha, also known as the summer solstice, is celebrated on June 21st. On this date, the sun is at its highest point producing the longest day and shortest night of the year. ☀️
Full Video Ritual
In ancient times, the summer solstice was celebrated by lighting balefires and coming together as a community. Blazing torches would be carried around to bless the crops and animals, people would dance around the fires 🔥 and coals from the ceremony would often be scattered throughout the fields to ensure strong crops.
In modern times, Litha is a celebration of balance as it represents the full and pregnant Moon Goddess with a Sun God at the height of his virility. The solar year is at its peak and powerful in life-giving power.
Litha Sabbat Ritual Celebration
Celebrate the Summer solstice the Wiccan Way! Follow this simple recipe to #castalong this Neopagan ritual, guided by the energy of the Goddess and God.
What you’ll need
1 white candle
1 yellow candle
Metal cauldron or fire proof container
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp ginger
1 sprig of rosemary
Lighter or matches
How to celebrate litha
- Organize the herbs and candles on the altar. This ritual should be performed outside to minimize any fire risk. Place the small metal cauldron on the ground in a safe location.
- Light the white candle and say a prayer to the Goddess:
- Light the yellow candle and say a prayer to the God:
- Place the dried herbs in the cauldron along with some newspaper. Choose herbs that are representative of your own personal focus for the ritual.
- Light the piece of newspaper and use it to catch the herbs on fire. If needed, place the rest of the newspaper in the cauldron to create a small ritual fire. Take a moment to honor the fire you have created.
- As you stare into the flames, think of an area in your life in which you need more strength, more power or intuition. Visualize yourself gaining that strength through the power of this fire and flames.
- If you can do this safely, carefully jump or step over the fire. Once on the other side, visualize yourself strong, powerful, and ready to increase your energy in that area of your life.
- Say a prayer for both the Wiccan Goddess and God:
- Meditate by your ritual fire. When you’re ready, extinguish the candles and fire.
- Follow safety guidelines when lighting fires. Read Wildfire Prevention.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find a printable Litha sabbat celebration page.
Book of Shadows Printable Page
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of printer-friendly parchment paper. Log in to download printable spells.
More Ways to Celebrate Litha! 🔥
There are many things pagans can do to be more in tune with the rhythm of this season.
Longer days and warm temperatures make summer the ideal time to go outside and enjoy nature. It is a good time to:
• Spend time outdoors (hike, bike, or work on your tan!)
• Take off your shoes to feel the earth outside, sand and grass count too!
• Hug a tree or read beneath its shade (the Oak tree is worshipped during this time. Read more about the Oak King worship)
• Attend parties, concerts, and social activities outdoors.
Learn more about Offerings and Decorations to celebrate Litha.
Sign in to spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience!
Discover your Wiccan path