šŸŖ“ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Enchanting Herbs

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Spell Bags & Pouches :spell_pouch:

With everything wrapped up nicely, itā€™s time to turn to another theme - now weā€™re looking out into the garden or peering into the pantry :eyes:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

Herbs Witch Challenge

:herb: :blossom: Enchanting Herbs :potted_plant: :leaves:

The world of herbal magick is budding with possibilities!

From lovely lavender to calming chamomile, spiritual sage to romantic rose and so many more - plants have a lot of power and potential for magickal use! The word ā€œherbā€ serves as an umbrella term, often used to refer to entire plants or parts of plants that contain medicinally and/or spiritually beneficial properties.

Herbs have a variety of uses including culinary, medicinal, aromatic and in some cases, spiritual. General usage of the term ā€œherbā€ differs between culinary herbs and medicinal herbs; in medicinal or spiritual use, any parts of the plant might be considered as ā€œherbsā€, including leaves, roots, flowers, seeds, root bark, inner bark (and cambium), resin and pericarp.

From Wikipedia: Herbs

This challenge is a sibling to the previous Green Magick challenge and encourages a focus on herbs - be they fresh, dried, or theoretical. Feel free to work with a favorite herb, cast herbal spells, or learn about a new plant that has been calling to you :herb:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is all about herbs in magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Disclaimer: Plants can be very potent! Not everything natural is safe for use, and not every herb is a good match for every body. Before handling or consuming a new plant, it is always a good idea to consult with your trusted medical professional and/or herbalist.

@daniel4 Making Your Own Herbal Incense

STEP 1 : An Herbal Exploration :leaves:

This challenge is all about herbs in magick - but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challengeā€¦

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Learn about a new herb :open_book:

New to the world of plant magick? No fear! A great place to get started is at the beginning. For a gentle guide to some introductory herbs and the basics of herbal magick, visit The Green Witch: Herbal Witchcraft Course :green_heart: (free with your Spells8 membership)

Green-Witch-Course-Herbal-Witchcraft

The course contains a handy collection of herbs, plants, and spices with magickal properties. Feel free to grab the general green magick pages and/or the pages for each specific herb for your Book of Shadows or Grimoire :open_book:

Magical-Herbs-Green-Witchcraft-Lesson
Magickal Herbs Printable Pages

Herbs in Kitchen Magick :bowl_with_spoon:

You donā€™t have to have a garden or a green thumb to be a master of herbal magick - in fact, you likely already have some great herbs and spices in your kitchen pantry! Kitchen Witchery is a fun and tasty type of magick that anyone can do.

Consider checking out the covenā€™s entries to the previous Culinary Magick :woman_cook: and Wickedly Delicious :yum: challenges for additional ideas and inspiration

Tools-of-a-Kitchen-Witch-360x240
Kitchen Witchcraft: Casting Spells in the Kitchen

Magickal-Kitchen-Blends-by-SilverBear
Magickal Blends for Kitchen Magick

Herbs for every spell & intention :magic_wand:

Although delicious in kitchen magick, herbs donā€™t have to be cooked or baked to enjoy their magickal properties. From spellwork to crafting, there are many ways to draw on the properties of each herb - consider exploring different methods for your entry this week!

Witch-Plants-Herbs-Every-Witch-Should-Know-360x240
Herbs & Recipes Every Witch Should Know

Herbs-for-Good-Luck-360x240
Herbs for Good Luck and How to Use Them

Lunar-Herbs-for-Moon-Phases-360x240
Moon Herbs and When to Use Them

Protection-Herbs-for-Banishing-360x240
Herbs and Spices for Protection

All-Purpose-Herbs-Substitution-Witchcraft-360x240
Herbs for Every Purpose

Uses-for-Old-Herbs-and-Spices
Creative Ways to Use Old Herbs and Spices

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore herbal magick in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

From Spells8: Calming Herbal Bath Blend

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, May 7 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-05-07T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

@Mistellaā€™s Herbal Candle Anointing Oil

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

From Spells8: Herbal Tea Spells

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Glorious and green or carefully dried
Herbs are a witchā€™s friend and guide
Happy to help with every spell
Theyā€™ll make sure your magick
Goes bloomingly well!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :potted_plant: :sparkles:

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to have think about how I want to do this challenge. So many ideas in my head!

9 Likes

Yaaaaaaay, so excited about this one. Itā€™s right up my alley. :herb: :green_heart:

11 Likes

I am preparing incense for the Goddess Hekati with flowers and herbs this invitation came at the right time :hekate_wheel: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hekate_wheel:

9 Likes

So many wonderful herbs to choose from!

9 Likes

Here we go!!! Herb Magic Powers Activate :herb::woman_mage::green_heart:

:camera_flash: alcatsloved

11 Likes

Challenge entry

We got chickens today :heart:

Tonight I did a spell for protection for the chickens.

I made black salt.
Harvested rosemary.
Grabbed a bell.
Placed symbols I have of Archangel Ariel-protector of animals
Green candle, colour associated with Archangel Ariel

I cast a circle

I placed the bell on the stick of rosemary.
I lit the green candle

I pulled the rosemary off the stems and placed the leaves in a container while concentrating on the protective energy of rosemary.

I followed most of a spell of protection I found on Llewellyn- that being- I passed the rosemary stem with the bell over the fire five times then chanted over the stem and bell.

(A Spell to Shield Your Pet from Harm)

Then I went outside and affixed the bell and rosemary to the coop. Then I walked clockwise around the coop three times chanting may the chickens be protected from harm. The first time I sprinkled the black salt around the coop and the next too times I sprinkled the rosemary around the coop. And said so mote it be.

Bonus-rosemary also helps protect against bugs-want to keep away the ones that would wreak havoc on our chickens.

9 Likes

This is my entry:

I use this blend in all my candle dressing these herbs

Cinnamon
Whole Anise
Sage
Bayleaf
Lavender
Tea (depends on what spell Iā€™m doing I use different kinds of tea ) ( I crack open the tea bag to add it to my blend)
Coffee (speeds up any spell I cast)

The aroma smells so good

9 Likes

So excited. Literally just bought new book on Beltane and herbsšŸŒæ!!!

8 Likes

I got this one!!! Yesterday I was feeling really groggy at around noon, so I laid down to take a little nap. My little nap turned into a 12 hour nap. I just woke up. Drying and grinding herbs is really tiring. I think I might wear gloves as a precaution the next time I do it. When hubby came home from work on Tuesday and walked into the kitchen, he said the kitchen looked like there could be felony charges filed against me for all the green hanging to dry every wear.

Weekly Challenge Entry

For the past two days, I have been drying herbs because my herb garden has become a monster that I canā€™t control. I have wormwood and rosemary hanging all over the house, so I decided to dry it in a faster way. Rosemary dries great in the microwave. Take it off the stem, put it on a paper plate and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Itā€™s best to dry it in small batches. Wormwood is a different story, it caught fire after about 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave. So, I pulled out the dehydrator. I spent hours grinding wormwood in small batches in a coffee grinder. Why didnā€™t I pull out the old trusty food processor that I use once every 5 years? Because itā€™s huge and bulky and I didnā€™t have the counter space. Next week when Iā€™m off, Iā€™m going to the food processor. Iā€™m not doing anymore wormwood today. I just about filled a 32 ounce jar with powdered wormwood.

Today is rosemary day!

9 Likes

That jar reminds me of my special ā€œrose Maryā€ I grew

9 Likes

Ha! Thatā€™s why hubby said it looks like I have a felony in a jar. :blush: He said SWAT should be breaking down the door at anytime. :laughing:

9 Likes

Hahahahaha thatā€™s funny

9 Likes

This sounds like a beautiful aroma! I may use this dressing if you donā€™t mind.

6 Likes

That sounds yummy! I didnā€™t realize coffee speeds things upā€¦ but makes sense!!

3 Likes

I love that meme

3 Likes