The purpose of a New Moon ritual bath is to cleanse yourself inside and out. Remove all negative energies and prepare physically, mentally and spiritually for the cycle that begins tonight. A ritual bath is a spell in and of itself.
Before you begin, set an intention for this ritual. It could be simply to detox and renew yourself; to heal; or to manifest something during the coming lunar month. The focus of the spell is self-care, protection and fresh new beginnings. 🌑
Quick Bath Salts Recipe:
- ½ cup sea salt
- ¼ cup Epsom salt
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 4 cups (1 liter) of boiling water
Let it sit for 10 minutes and pour in the bath water. Follow bath safety guidelines.
Add herbs or oils according to your intention too. If you need ideas for herbs, follow the lessons on the Green Witch Video Course 🌿.
If you don’t have sea salt, you can use baking soda. It relieves muscle pain and soothes eczema, along with other benefits¹. However, it is recommended to test the effects on a small patch of skin at least 24 hours before taking a baking soda bath. Find more bath recipes here.
New Moon Self-Care Ritual & Bath Recipe
Quick New Moon ritual for solitary Witches, Wiccans and Pagans. Celebrate the new cycle with a ritual bath recipe and cleansing ceremony.
1 white candle
1 candle in appropriate color matching your intention
Bath salts (see above)
How to perform the new moon ritual
- Turn the lights off. Light the candles and incense in the bathroom. You may take a quick shower before starting.
- Start the music, fill the tub with warm water and add the bath salt mixture.
- Get into the water and visualize it cleansing you of all negativity. Know that these energies are flowing from your physical, mental and spiritual self into the water. Relax and enjoy the scents in the air and let yourself drift.
- Chant a Pagan Prayer of your choice or invoke Hecate as follows:
- Concentrate and visualize the purpose or intention of your ritual.
- Rise up out and do a self-blessing with the following prayer. Anoint your head and then each area while saying aloud:
- When you feel you are ready, pull the plug. As the water is draining visualize and know that the negative energies that are now in the water are going into the Earth and are being grounded.
- Let the air dry you or gently pat yourself with a towel. Once dried, robe, clean-up the bathroom and blow out the candles. The rite has ended.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find a printable version of this ritual.
- Always practice Candle Safety.
What to do with the ritual remains? 🕯️
Throw away the candle remains as you say Thank you. If there’s plenty of candle left, you can cut out the used part and dispose of it, while keeping the rest.
What is the spiritual meaning of the New Moon?
The meaning of the New Moon is introspection, self-analysis and self-reflection. An opportunity for a fresh start and a New You. Establish a general intention for the lunar cycle that begins today.
What to do on the New Moon? 🌑
Work on your personal space: clean your ritual area, start or decorate your Book of Shadows, find spells online, or take a cleansing bath. Find more spiritual rituals for new moon here: 5 New Moon Candle Spells & Ritual Ideas ✨
New Moon Ritual: When to do it?
Start the ritual at any time during the New Moon, even if there’s still light out. Get this Printable Lunar Calendar and you’ll know exactly when the next New Moon is. Stay up to date on all Witchy things by subscribing to the Spells8 Newsletter!
Print this Lunar Ritual (2 pages)
Log in to download these pages or explore the free printable grimoire pages. This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience