Gain confidence and good luck by inviting Janus’ blessing. This is a candle spell to open doors using a key and a chant to the god of doors and gates. Romans used to pray to Janus whenever they undertook a new work.
How this Spell works
- Janus gives name to January and is the Roman god associated with new beginnings. One of his attributes is having two faces that can see in both directions: the past and the future. When starting a new venture or beginning a new task, it is beneficial to be able to see all sides.
- Two candles (green and black) will represent each of Janus’ faces. Green is associated with a fresh start and success (future). The black candle will help dissolve negativity and lingering energies from the past.
- The key is the symbol of Janus. He held the key to the metaphorical doors or gateways between what was and what is to come. Like Hecate, Janus rules and protects doors, gates, and thresholds.
Best day for this spell: Monday. But you may cast it when there is a New Moon 🌑 or a Waxing Crescent 🌒. Find more New Moon Rituals here.
Before you begin this door opener ritual, make sure you have set an intention for this ritual. It could be anything from wanting to start a new hobby, to embarking on a business, or to communicate better with your coworkers, family, or spirit guides.
Good Luck Spell Chant: Janus’ New Beginnings
Door Opener Spell with a good luck chant. Use it as a Wiccan ritual for success and confidence in times of New Beginnings.
1 green candle
1 black candle
An old key
Piece of paper
Pen or pencil
How to cast the spell
- Light the black candle and allow it to absorb any of your negative thoughts about starting this new cycle.
- Light the green candle. Take a deep breath and focus on your intention for the ritual.
- Use the pen to write down your intention on the piece of paper. Be as specific as you need. You can write a single word or fill a whole page with your thoughts.
- Place the key on the paper and use your pen or pencil to draw an outline of the key. If you don’t have a key, copy this one, from Roman lore. The key symbolizes unlocking the doors of transition.
- Say the following chant:
- Pour a few drops of the green candle wax on the drawing of the key.
- Meditate. Let the candle burn safely during the following days. Keep the page on your book of mirrors and come back to the it in a few months to see if you have harvested your intention.
- 🖨️ Scroll down to find a printable version of this spell
Printable Spell: Door Opener
This PDF version comes with a transparent background so you can print it on any kind of paper you want and add it to your own Book of Shadows. Find more printable grimoire pages and more good luck spells.
Offerings to Janus
Offerings to the god of doorways were made of meals, frankincense, and wine, each of which had to be new.
Janus was worshipped at the beginnings of the harvest and planting times, as well as at marriages, deaths and other beginnings.
Janus frequently symbolized change and transitions such as the progress of future to past, from one condition to another, from one vision to another, and young people’s growth to adulthood. He represented time, because he could see into the past with one face and into the future with the other.
He represented the middle ground between barbarism and civilization, rural and urban space, youth and adulthood. Having jurisdiction over beginnings, Janus had an intrinsic association with omens and auspices.
Sign in to Spells8 and become part of a new and exciting experience
Discover your Wiccan path