What does it mean to enchant or charm an item? It simply means to infuse it with magickal energy. In this article, we will talk about how to enchant a piece of jewelry to turn it into a powerful amulet or talisman, your own sacred jewelry.
Some may think amulets and talismans are the same thing but they are not. While they are both charms and/or jewelry worn for magickal purposes, they serve two different purposes.
What is the difference between a talisman and an amulet?
An amulet is worn to ward off negative influences, creating protection. Meanwhile, a talisman draws near the desired thing, creating attraction. A lucky charm could be considered both an amulet (if it’s meant to protect the wearer from harm), or a talisman (if it’s meant to bring good fortune).
The power of the amulet or talisman may come from many different sources. There are energetic sources such as crystals, herbs, colors, days of the week, deities, elements, etc. Remember all things are ultimately connected, so working with energetic fields that are compatible and corresponding can produce a very powerful charm.
Different stones and crystals work to draw or protect in varying ways. For example, an obsidian pendant is worn and charged to ward off evil. While a jade bracelet is charged to draw love towards the individual.
The first thing is to decide on an intention that you’d like your piece of jewelry to attain. Something like health, protection, prosperity, love, psychic powers, a new friendship, etc. Always be clear about what your intentions are and consider that each gemstone, metal, and sacred symbol each will have their meaning. Gather together the corresponding items you feel drawn to and have available.
The process of enchanting is versatile and varied and there are many ways to do it successfully. Personal preference when it comes to enchanting items is completely left up to the individual spellcaster. Always do whatever you feel represents to you your purpose or what you feel calls to be done.
Some individuals use the words “enchant” and “charm” synonymously as a way to describe the process of infusing something with energy. Others believe that it is after you enchant something, it then becomes a charm as in a talisman. Alternatively, a “charm” can be something with its own innate energy, like a quick folk spell.
Jewelry, clothing, absolutely anything can be imbued with the energy of your intentions in any way that you feel resonates with you to create a magickal charm. Here are a few ideas on how you can easily enchant your own items. You can try them individually or mix and match them as you see fit to create your own magickal processes:
How to Charm Jewelry
- Surround the item with ingredients of the corresponding intentions on your altar or in a sacred place.
- Place the item in front of a candle of the color that corresponds and meditate on your intentions.
- Anoint the item with an oil, charged water, or crystal elixir of corresponding intent.
- Hold the item in your hands and use the power of visualization to see it filled with the appropriate powers and energy.
- Speak, chant or sing your intentions aloud. You can use this charming spell:
“Shining charm I charge you now.
Energy flows strongly around.
Bring my wish back to me.
My Magick — talisman or amulet — , so mote it be.”
- Let the candle burn as you meditate, and then blow it out when you’re done.
Wear the amulet for the next few days and see how it feels on you. You can remove it to take a shower or when you go to sleep.
Alternatively, you can enchant your jewelry without candles. Here are more ideas for a ritual to charge an amulet such as a Nazar (protection against the evil eye) 🧿. Pick the one that feels the most natural to you:
- Craft a sigil or symbol to keep near the item in an envelope or sachet for an appropriate amount of time, usually 12-48 hours to infuse the energy into the item.
- Write your intentions out on paper like a letter in present tense as if your desire is already and keep in an envelope with the item for an appropriate amount of time, usually 12-48 hours.
- Pair the item with a corresponding runestone or Tarot and/or Oracle cards in an envelope for the appropriate amount of time, usually 12- 48 hours.
- Take the item and put it in a box with other items that represent your intent such as crystals, herbs, talismans, amulets, etc.
- Bury the item in soil with herbs and/or crystals that match your intentions. Note that if you put salt in your lawn or garden bed it can kill the plant life.
- Pass the item through incense smoke that matches your intentions.
You can also hang the protective amulet on your room or near the entrance of your home. The most important and vital energetic source derives from YOU and your intentions. Intent is powerful. It is the Will in action, harnessed and directed.
Always practice conscious creation with clarity and compassion. Remember the Wiccan Rede, “Do as thou will and harm none”.
Get Inspired! Explore the Forum 🔮
Get more ideas and inspiration from the Weekly Witchy Challenges at the Infinite Roots Coven!
- Entry for Creative Crafting: Beads and Charms
- Magickal Symbols for Protection Amulets
- Simple Jewelry Enchantment
- Witches Ladder?
- Don’t know what to do with all the spiritual jewelry?
What Moon phase is good for charging an amulet?
The Full Moon is generally considered a powerful lunar phase that is good for almost any purpose, including charging or enchanting an amulet. Depending on the intention, the Waxing Moon is generally a good lunar time for attracting and manifesting a wish.
Read more here: Lunar Magick and the Moon Phases