As witches and new-age spiritualists, our interest in candles is often more complex than just their use for decoration. Candles enable us to connect with the energies of the universe, invoke powerful spells, and even perform divination.
Wax reading is an ancient practice that uses the shapes that randomly appear in the melted wax, lending insight into patterns of time, events, emotions, and energies. Whether you are trying to manifest abundance or gain otherworldly knowledge, learning how to read candle wax can help give clarity and shape your intentions. Wax reading allows you to interpret the drips left by a burning candle, providing insight into the world around us.
How To Read Candle Wax
While it may seem challenging to perform divination, reading candle wax is a great way to start! This is because it’s likely that you already have all the necessary materials on hand. Let’s dive in!
You Will Need
- A bowl
- A candle
- Matches or a lighter
- Pen and paper
- Gather the supplies listed above. If possible, select a bowl for scrying that is wooden, ceramic, or made of natural material. Avoid materials such as plastic, as the wax may burn the inside of the bowl.
- Meditate on your intention. Will you be attempting to contact a specific entity? What information are you looking to glean from this experience? What are your goals, and how can this practice help you to achieve them?
- Write down your intention(s) with your pen and paper. If you have any specific questions you would like to ask during your divination session, write these down so you can reference them later.
- Fill your bowl with cool water. Natural or spring water is best, but tap water will do just fine.
- Light your candle and hold it above the bowl, carefully allowing the wax to drip into the bowl. While doing so, be careful not to shake the bowl or move the water. Allow the wax to form shapes naturally as it dries.
- After a few moments, blow out your candle. Ensuring it is properly snuffed, set your candle to the side.
- Now it’s time to observe your wax drippings. Spend a few moments gazing at your creations, looking for shapes and patterns along the way. Feel free to take down notes of anything that stands out to you. Using your intuition to guide you, pay attention to how the symbols may you feel.
How To Interpret Your Candle Wax Reading
Now that you’ve performed the steps required, how do you go about reading your wax? Interpretation is not always straightforward and may take some study and practice to fully get the hang of it. Luckily, there are a few basic things you can look for to start decoding these messages from the universe.
Look For Letters & Numbers
Just like with Ceromancy, the art of reading wax, sometimes the wax in your bowl may appear to form numbers and letters. Letters may indicate names of people or places in your life, or even a specific event.
Numbers, on the other hand, can be a bit more complicated. Numbers may represent specific dates and times, or even hold meanings rooted in numerology. This is why it’s important to follow your intuition during readings to interpret the relevance of a particular number.
Prophecies dwell in numbers just as names rest in letters, so you may feel a spiritual connection to friends, relatives, or a significant event in your life after looking upon these signs.
Pay Attention To Wax Movement
If your wax circles your bowl in a clockwise motion, then congratulations – this is usually a good sign of something positive coming your way. Conversely, wax traveling in a counter-clockwise direction may indicate a negative result or loss.
Look For Recognizable Shapes
Much like reading tea leaves, the wax in your bowl may form shapes with significant meaning. For more information, you can look up other common symbols found in tasseomancy, as their purposes often carry over.
Location Of Wax In Bowl
If your wax is closer to the middle of your scrying bowl, it’s likely referring to something that occurred further in the past. That said, wax that gathers near the edge of your bowl may refer to situations that will soon be occurring.
Divination is an ancient practice that can be found in cultures all around the world. Though there are many different ways to read omens and symbols, candlewax divination is a simple yet effective method that anyone can try at home. With careful consideration, the shapes that form in your bowl could deliver answers to deep inquiries, related to your personal growth and journey. Unlocking their knowledge is distinctly similar to how someone tackles reading divinatory tea leaves – all that is needed is a willing mind and intuition.
If you’re struggling to read your wax symbols, keep reading for common symbol meanings. You may even find some different divination method that works for you!
Where do astrology symbols come from?
The symbols in Astrology are called glyphs. Each of these is a constellation. The ancient Mesopotamians, mainly Babylonians, named these groups of stars in the sky.
Just like any other religion, Wicca has its own religious symbols which carry spiritual meanings and sacred power. You have likely seen some of these pictures before, so here’s an opportunity to learn their meanings and origins.
How to Read Tea Leaves
Tea Leaf Divination (also called Tasseography) is a traditional method of divination that allows the reader to examine symbols found in the patterns of tea leaves.